International Students Academic Merit Scholarship
The International Students Academic Merit Scholarship is available to eligible new international students seeking a graduate or undergraduate degree.
- Apply for admission to ETSU undergraduate admissions.
- Have or plan to have an F-1 or J-1 student visa (F-1 Visa information, J-1 Visa information).
- Have a demonstrated record of academic achievement.
APPLICATION STREPS FOR UNDERGRADUATE
International Student Application Steps
- Complete the online application for admission and submit the $35 application fee.
- Send all transcripts and/or mark sheets from all academic institutions attended. Mail to:
East Tennessee State University
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
PO Box 70731
1276 Gilbreath Drive
Burgin Dossett Hall, Room 106
Johnson City, TN 37614
- Submit all English language proficiency scores (if applicable)
Applying for Housing
If you are planning to live on campus (not required), you must apply early for university housing. Use the application available from the Housing webpage. Be sure to include the appropriate housing application fee.
Apply for your Meal Plan
If you are living on campus, fill out the Resident Advantage Meal Plan form or if you are living off campus, fill out the Commuter Meal Plan form and return it to the Campus Dining office. Mailing address:ETSU Campus Dining, PO Box 70290, Johnson City, TN 37614
Complete the health forms
New students must complete two health forms prior to registering for classes and enrolling in ETSU. The Student Health Form and the Meningitis and Hepatitis B Immunization Health Form. Health history requirements may be viewed from the Health Services webpage.
Provide Financial Support and Other Information
Provide certification from a parent or guardian or other responsible person or organization that ample financial support will be provided while attending ETSU. Financial documentation provided must be original documents.
All applicants who meet the following criteria will be considered for the scholarship:
- Minimum 3.0 high school GPA on the US 4.0 scale (freshman applicants)
- Minimum 3.0 undergraduate GPA on the US 4.0 scale (undergraduate transfer applicants and graduate applicants)
- Applicants who qualify for the scholarship will receive notice of the award in their admission letter. Students who wish to accept the scholarship must complete and submit a scholarship acceptance form within three weeks from the date on the admissions letter.
Scholarship Value per Academic Year.
Undergraduate students: Up to $12,500
Graduate students: Up to $11,500
Award Terms and Conditions:
Undergraduate students: up to 8 semesters provided the minimum eligibility requirements are maintained.
Graduate Students: Five semesters for recipients seeking a master’s degree, or commensurate with the length of the program.
Scholarship may not be combined with other scholarships that cover tuition costs (Creative Arts, Honors in Discipline, Grad Assistantship, Graduate Tuition Scholarship, Government funding, Fulbright grants, etc. Scholarship cannot be used when students are paying in-state, or Erate tuition.
Other conditions as outlined in the Acceptance Form.
Students Ineligible for the Merit Scholarship:
- Second Bachelor’s degree applicants, if previous Bachelor’s degree was granted by ETSU.
- Graduate students receiving a graduate assistantship or tuition scholarship
- Students receiving any other ETSU tuition scholarship
- Students paying in-state or Erate tuition.
- Students applying for the M.D. and PharmD programs
- Students who are not in lawful F-1 or J-1 status
For questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Honors College offers programs of study which include the possibility of scholarship funding. International students may apply to the following honors programs:
Admittance to honors programs is contingent upon meeting program-specific eligibility requirements. Students applying to an honors program may have to provide additional documents that are not required for general university admission. Admission to an honors program is competitive, with limited space available.
Please note that honors students must complete enriched programs of study. Admittance to a program includes the possibility of receiving a scholarship, not a guarantee.
To learn more about honors program admissions requirements, scholarship availability, and application instructions, visit the above links to each program’s web page
The ETSU Creative Arts Scholarship
The ETSU Creative Arts Scholarship is awarded to new out-of-state students, including international students, with interests in the arts. Recipients are required to participate in ETSU performing arts or art exhibition activities. Some scholarships require students to major in a particular arts discipline. The scholarship covers out-of-state tuition. Undergraduate and graduate students may apply.
For more information, visit the scholarship office’s Creative Arts Scholarship web page.
The ETSU STEM Community Outreach Scholarship
The ETSU STEM Community Outreach Scholarship provides opportunities for first-time out-of-state students to attend ETSU in the areas of Computing, Geosciences, Mathematics, and Physics and pay in-state tuition rates and fees.
For additional information on the STEM Scholarship, please click on the Stem Outreach Photo
STEM Community Outreach Scholarship